Why do people procrastinate?
Is it because they are lazy or there might be a deeper lying reason to this common malady?
My observations and introspections have led me to conclude that there indeed exists a deeper lying reason to this terrible disease which plagues most of us.
The reason is fear ! Fear to confront things you find difficult to do. Things which might expose one’s weaknesses and fallacies.
An obese person might avoid going to gym because it makes him confront his private hell of obesity. A student might procastinate preparation for particularly difficult exam as the subject demands giving up on leisure time in order to master it.
How does one then tackle this problem? After all we can’t let such mundane things like say an international finance paper intimidate us for eternity, can we?
So the only solution, hard though it may seem is facing our fears head on! Start doing and completing things you have been long avoiding.
As when you see your “to-do” list getting smaller, the sense of relief it brings with it makes it worth it.
This blog too is one of those things I have been avoiding for long now.
Publishing your work online and making it open to others for their views and criticisms does take a lot of courage (at least it does for me!)
Tomorrow I have an exam….I am again finding out ways to avoid opening that dreadful text book. One of the ways I have devised is striking of things from my to-do list.
I just completed one of my long postponed things . Finally did complete my first post :)
A good one to start with
ReplyDelete